SPLITTING APART / Po
Hexagram: 23 Binary Sequence: 32 (100000)
Upper trigram: 3 (4) KeN / Keeping Still / Mountain
Lower trigram: 6 (5) LI / The Clinging / Fire
- (4) Emptying / EMPTYING represents the dissipation and movement of energy via matter. It is the source of order out of chaos. EMPTYING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE. ( music, creation of the elements, heat)
- Emptying represents the dissipation and movement of energy via matter. It is the source of order out of chaos. It is the final outward deflation that returns to the initial chaos from which everything is born. Instances of this are music, creation of the elements, death.
The trigram shows the yin energy overtaking the center, making this trigram yin in nature. EMPTYING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE.
The quadrant of FIRE and EARTH is one of final descension, or external yin, where the energy of FIRE quickly dies. This is external because it is FIRE transitioning to EARTH, and descending because the energy of creation is waning, but in the process matter is restructured (or born). This is the process that transforms energy to mass (m=E/c^2^).
- Negotiation: In the dynamic between FIRE and EARTH, FIRE is always dependent on EARTH.
- Definition: FIRE can only find expression in EARTH, just like energy can only be experienced via matter. Therefore, the limitations on the expression of FIRE are determined by the yin quality of EARTH.
- Contribution: The restructuring of EARTH by FIRE is what brings everything into existence.
- (5) FIRE / FIRE is the symbol of a yang on the outsides but dependent on a yin center, as the yang dissipates, much like a fire that shines light as the log is reduced to ashes. ( energy, heat,light)
- FIRE represents the quality that allow for manifestation, transforming idea to form. It is cardinal, fall equinox, descending, the perfect balance of lessening yang and increasing yin. Instance of this are light, consumption.
The trigram shows the symbol of a yang on the outsides but dependent on a yin center, as the yang dissipates, much like a fire that shines light as the log is reduced to ashes.
The quadrant of FIRE exists between the dynamic properties of RELEASE and EMPTYING and therefore represent the dissipation of energy, which bring form in to existence and light into the world. This is the balanced that represents the hight of outward expression.
- Negotiation: The yang is built up and is ready to be released.
- Definition: The yin returns as the yang is released, which is defined by dissipation and entropy.
- Contribution: The energy is shared with the world, as light, heat, and movement.
IT does not further one
To go anywhere.
An Explanation of the Judgment This pictures a time when inferior people are pushing forward and are about to crowd out the few remaining strong and superior men. Under these circumstances, which are due to the time, it is not favorable for the superior man to undertake anything. The right behavior in such adverse times is to be deduced from the images and their attributes. The lower trigram stands for the earth, whose attributes. The lower trigram stands for the earth, whose attributes are docility and devotion. The upper trigram stands for the mountain, whose attribute is stillness. This suggests that one should submit to the bad time and remain quiet. For it is a question not of man's doing but of time conditions, which, according to the laws of heaven, show an alternation of increase and decrease, fullness and emptiness. It is impossible to counteract these conditions of the time. Hence it is not cowardice but wisdom to submit and avoid action.
The 'IMAGE' of the hexagram The mountain rests on the earth: The image of SPLITTING APART. Thus those above can ensure their position Only by giving generously to those below.
An Explanation of the 'IMAGE' The mountain rests on the earth. When it is steep and narrow, lacking a broad base, it must topple over. Its position is strong only when it rises out of the earth broad and great, not proud and steep. So likewise those who rule rest on the broad foundation of the people. They too should be generous and benevolent, like the earth that carries all. Then they will make their position as secure as a mountain is in its tranquillity.
The Six Lines
Six at the beginning means:
The leg of the bed is split.
Those who persevere are destroyed.
Commentary on the line Inferior people are on the rise and stealthily begin their destructive burrowing from below in order to undermine the place where the superior man rests. Those followers of the ruler who remain loyal are destroyed by slander and intrigue. The situation bodes disaster, yet there is nothing to do but wait.
Six in the second place means:
The bed is split at the edge,
Those who persevere are destroyed,
Commentary on the line The power of the inferior people is growing. The danger draws close to one'person; already there are clear indication, and rest is disturbed. Moreover,in this dangerous situation one is as yet without help or friendly advances from above or below. Extreme caution is necessary in this isolation. One must adjust to the time and promptly avoid the danger. Stubborn perseverance in maintaining one's standpoint would lead to downfall.
Six in the third place means:
He splits with them.
Commentary on the line An individual finds himself in an evil environment to which he is committed by external ties. But he has an inner relationship with a superior man, and through this he attains the stability to free himself from the way of the inferior people around him. This brings him into opposition to them of course,but that is not wrong.
Six in the fourth place means:
The bed is split up to the skin.
Commentary on the line Here the disaster affects not only the resting place but even the occupant.No warning or other comment is added. Misfortune has reached its peak: it can no longer be warded off.
Six in the fifth place means:
A shoal of fishes.
Favor comes through the court ladies.
Everything acts to further.
Commentary on the line Here, in immediate proximity to the strong, light-giving principle at the top, the nature of the dark force undergoes a change. It no longer opposes the strong principle by means of intrigues but submits to its guidance. Indeed, as the head of the other weak lines, it leads all of these to the strong line,just as a princess leads her maids-in-waiting like a shoal of fishes to her husband and thus gains his favor. Inasmuch as the lower element thus voluntarily places itself under the higher, it attains happiness and the higher also receives its due. Therefore all goes well.
Nine at the top means:
There is a large fruit still uneaten.
The superior man receives a carriage.
The house of the inferior man is split apart.
Commentary on the line Here the splitting apart reaches its end. When misfortune has spent itself,better times return. The seed of the good remains, and it is just when the fruit falls to the ground that food sprouts anew from its seed. The superior man again attains influence and effectiveness. He is supported by public opinion as if in a carriage. But the inferior man's wickedness is visited upon himself. His house is split apart. A law of nature is at work here. Evil is not destructive to the good alone but inevitably destroys itself as well. For Evil, which lives solely by negation, cannot continue to exist on its own strength alone. The inferior man himself fares best when held under control by a superior man.