INNOCENCE (THE UNEXPECTED) / Wu Wang
Hexagram: 25 Binary Sequence: 57 (111001)
Upper trigram: 1 (7) CH'IEN / The Creative / Heaven
Lower trigram: 4 (1) CHeN / The Arousing / Thunder
- (7) AIR / AIR is the symbol of a perfect yang state. AIR is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE. ( birth, exploration, imagination)
- AIR represents the arena of growth and creation. What comes from the yin EARTH grows into the yang AIR. It holds all things in the Universe in place and is symbolic of spirit, which shows us a life beyond our mortal limitations. It is cardinal, summer solstice, outward, the non-moving point between inflation and deflation. Instance of this are birth, exploration, imagination.
The trigram shows the symbol of a perfect yang state. AIR is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE.
The quadrant of AIR exists between the dynamic properties of COLLECTING and RELEASING and therefore represent the turning point from the internal journey to the external journey. This is the extreme yang pole, where the maximum point of COLLECTING is reached is reached and the RELEASING must soon begin.
- Negotiation: It is the nature of air to move and to create; it therefore seeks out the yin.
- Definition: While the unknown is yin in nature, exploring it is yang, and it is only by exploring that definitions and limitations are discovered.
- Contribution: The contribution of AIR is to open new doors and find new horizons.
- (1) Filling / FILLING represents form coming to life. FILLING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE. ( gestation, dark matter (expansion of the Universe), artificial intelligence)
- Filling represents form coming to life. It is the initial inward inflation of a new cycle. Instance of this are gestation, dark matter (expansion of the Universe), artificial intelligence.
This trigram shows the return of the yang energy in the bottom place, but as the center is still yin, it is in the domain of yin. FILLING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE.
The quadrant of EARTH and WATER is one of new beginnings, or internal yin, where the empty yin state of EARTH begins to return to life with energy. It is inward because the yang enters from the lowest place, and ascending because the yang continues to rise.
- Negotiation: The lack of yang is what draws the yang to penetrate the EARTH
- Definition: The yang must fill the empty yin vessel of EARTH before it can express itself.
- Contribution: The omnipresence of yang is the universal reservoir that can be tapped into from anywhere, not unlike the idea of the earth as the electrical ground for all electronics.
If someone is not as he should be, He has misfortune, And it does not further him
To undertake anything.
An Explanation of the Judgment Man has received from heaven a nature innately good, to guide him in all his movements. By devotion to this divine spirit within himself, he attains an unsullied innocence that leads him to do right with instinctive sureness and without any ulterior thought of reward and personal advantage. This instinctive certainty brings about supreme success and 'furthers through perseverance". However, not everything instinctive is nature in this higher sense of the word, but only that which is right and in accord with the will of heaven. Without this quality of rightness, an unreflecting, instinctive way of acting brings only misfortune. Confucius says about this: "He who departs from innocence, what does he come to? Heaven's will and blessing do not go with his deeds."
The 'IMAGE' of the hexagram Under heaven thunder rolls: All things attain the natural state of innocence. Thus the kings of old, Rich in virtue, and in harmony with the time, Fostered and nourished all beings.
An Explanation of the 'IMAGE' In springtime when thunder, life energy, begins to move again under the heavens, everything sprouts and grows, and all beings receive for the creative activity of nature the childlike innocence of their original state. So it is with the good rulers of mankind: drawing on the spiritual wealth at their command, they take care of all forms of life and all forms of culture and do everything to further them, and at the proper time.
The Six Lines
Nine at the beginning means:
Innocent behavior brings good fortune.
Commentary on the line The original impulses of the heart are always good, so that we may follow them confidently, assured of good fortune and achievement of our aims.
Six in the second place means:
If one does not count on the harvest while plowing,
Nor on the use of the ground while clearing it,
It furthers one to undertake something.
Commentary on the line We should do every task for its own sake as time and place demand and not with an eye to the result. Then each task turns out well, and anything we undertake succeeds.
Six in the third place means:
The cow that was tethered by someone
Is the wanderer's gain, the citizen's loss.
Commentary on the line Sometimes undeserved misfortune befalls a man at the hands of another, as for instance when someone passes by and takes a tethered cow along with him.His gain is the owner's loss. In all transactions, no matter how innocent, we must accommodate ourselves to the demands of the time, otherwise unexpected misfortune overtakes us.
Nine in the fourth place means:
He who can be persevering
Remains without blame.
Commentary on the line We cannot lose what really belongs to us, even if we throw it away.Therefore we need have no anxiety. All that need concern us is that we should remain true to our own natures and not listen to others.
Nine in the fifth place means:
Use no medicine in an illness
Incurred through no fault of your own.
It will pass of itself.
Commentary on the line An unexpected evil may come accidentally from without. If it does not originate in one's own nature or have a foothold there, one should not resort to external means to eradicate it, but should quietly let nature take its course. Then improvement will come of itself.
Nine at the top means:
Innocent action brings misfortune.
Commentary on the line When, in a given situation, the time is not ripe for further progress, the best thing to do is to wait quietly, without ulterior designs. If one acts thoughtlessly and tries to push ahead in opposition to fate, success will not be achieved.