The Power of the Great / Ta Chuang
Hexagram: 34 Binary Sequence: 15 (001111)
Upper trigram: 4 (1) CHeN / The Arousing / Thunder
Lower trigram: 1 (7) CH'IEN / The Creative / Heaven
- (1) Filling / FILLING represents form coming to life. FILLING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE. ( gestation, dark matter (expansion of the Universe), artificial intelligence)
- Filling represents form coming to life. It is the initial inward inflation of a new cycle. Instance of this are gestation, dark matter (expansion of the Universe), artificial intelligence.
This trigram shows the return of the yang energy in the bottom place, but as the center is still yin, it is in the domain of yin. FILLING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE.
The quadrant of EARTH and WATER is one of new beginnings, or internal yin, where the empty yin state of EARTH begins to return to life with energy. It is inward because the yang enters from the lowest place, and ascending because the yang continues to rise.
- Negotiation: The lack of yang is what draws the yang to penetrate the EARTH
- Definition: The yang must fill the empty yin vessel of EARTH before it can express itself.
- Contribution: The omnipresence of yang is the universal reservoir that can be tapped into from anywhere, not unlike the idea of the earth as the electrical ground for all electronics.
- (7) AIR / AIR is the symbol of a perfect yang state. AIR is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE. ( birth, exploration, imagination)
- AIR represents the arena of growth and creation. What comes from the yin EARTH grows into the yang AIR. It holds all things in the Universe in place and is symbolic of spirit, which shows us a life beyond our mortal limitations. It is cardinal, summer solstice, outward, the non-moving point between inflation and deflation. Instance of this are birth, exploration, imagination.
The trigram shows the symbol of a perfect yang state. AIR is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE.
The quadrant of AIR exists between the dynamic properties of COLLECTING and RELEASING and therefore represent the turning point from the internal journey to the external journey. This is the extreme yang pole, where the maximum point of COLLECTING is reached is reached and the RELEASING must soon begin.
- Negotiation: It is the nature of air to move and to create; it therefore seeks out the yin.
- Definition: While the unknown is yin in nature, exploring it is yang, and it is only by exploring that definitions and limitations are discovered.
- Contribution: The contribution of AIR is to open new doors and find new horizons.
THE POWER OF THE GREAT.
An Explanation of the Judgment The hexagram points to a time when inner worth mounts with great force and comes to power. But its strength has already passed beyond the median line,hence there is danger that one may rely entirely on one's own power and forget to ask what is right. There is danger too that, being intent on movement, we may not wait for the right time. Therefore the added statement that perseverance furthers. For that is truly great power which does not degenerate into mere force but remains inwardly united with the fundamental principles of right and of justice. When we understand this point--namely, that greatness and justice must be indissolubly united--we understand the true meaning of all that happens in heaven and on earth.
The 'IMAGE' of the hexagram Thunder in heaven above: The image of THE POWER OF THE GREAT. Thus the superior man does not tread upon paths
An Explanation of the 'IMAGE' That do not accord with established order. Thunder--electrical energy--mounts upward in the spring. The direction of this movement is in harmony with that of the movement of heaven. It is therefore a movement in accord with heaven, producing great power. However,true greatness depends on being in harmony with what is right. Therefore in times of great power the superior man avoids doing anything that is not in harmony with the established order.
The Six Lines
Nine at the beginning means:
Power in the toes.
Continuing brings misfortune.
This is certainly true.
Commentary on the line The toes are in the lowest place and are ready to advance. So likewise greatpower in lowly station is inclined to effect advance by force. This, if carried further, would certainly lead to misfortune, and therefore by way of advice a warning is added.
Nine in the second place means:
Perseverance brings good fortune.
Commentary on the line The premise here is that the gates to success are beginning to open.Resistance gives way and we forge ahead. This is the point at which, only too easily, we become the prey of exuberant self-confidence. This is why the oracle says that perseverance (i.e., perseverance in inner equilibrium,without excessive use of power) brings good fortune.
Nine in the third place means:
The inferior man works through power.
The superior man does not act thus.
To continue is dangerous.
A goat butts against a hedge
And gets its horns entangled.
Commentary on the line Making a boast of power leads to entanglements, just as a goat entangles its horns when it butts against a hedge. Whereas an inferior man revels in power when he comes into possession of it, the superior man never makes this mistake. He is conscious at all times of the danger of pushing ahead regardless of circumstances, and therefore renounces in good time the empty display of force.
Nine in the fourth place means:
Perseverance brings good fortune.
The hedge opens; there is no entanglement.
Power depends upon the axle of a big cart,
Commentary on the line If a man goes on quietly and perseveringly working at the removal of resistances, success comes in the end. The obstructions give way and all occasion for remorse arising from excessive use of power disappears. Such a man's power does not show externally, yet it can move heavy loads, like a big cart whose real strength lies in its axle. The less that power is applied outwardly, the greater its effect.
Six in the fifth place means:
Loses the goat with ease.
Commentary on the line The goat is noted for hardness outwardly and weakness within. Now the situation is such that everything is easy; there is no more resistance. One can give up a belligerent, stubborn way of acting and will not have to regret it.
Six at the top means:
A goat butts against a hedge.
It cannot go backward, it cannot go forward.
Nothing serves to further.
If one notes the difficulty, this brings good fortune.
Commentary on the line If we venture too far we come to a deadlock, unable either to advance or to retreat and whatever we do merely serves to complicate thing further. Such obstinacy leads to insuperable difficulties. But if, realizing the situation,we compose ourselves and decide not to continue, everything will right itself in time.