DECREASE / Sun
Hexagram: 41 Binary Sequence: 35 (100011)
Upper trigram: 3 (4) KeN / Keeping Still / Mountain
Lower trigram: 8 (3) TUI / The Joyous / Lake
- (4) Emptying / EMPTYING represents the dissipation and movement of energy via matter. It is the source of order out of chaos. EMPTYING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE. ( music, creation of the elements, heat)
- Emptying represents the dissipation and movement of energy via matter. It is the source of order out of chaos. It is the final outward deflation that returns to the initial chaos from which everything is born. Instances of this are music, creation of the elements, death.
The trigram shows the yin energy overtaking the center, making this trigram yin in nature. EMPTYING is one of the three trigrams that is an ORIGINATING SOURCE.
The quadrant of FIRE and EARTH is one of final descension, or external yin, where the energy of FIRE quickly dies. This is external because it is FIRE transitioning to EARTH, and descending because the energy of creation is waning, but in the process matter is restructured (or born). This is the process that transforms energy to mass (m=E/c^2^).
- Negotiation: In the dynamic between FIRE and EARTH, FIRE is always dependent on EARTH.
- Definition: FIRE can only find expression in EARTH, just like energy can only be experienced via matter. Therefore, the limitations on the expression of FIRE are determined by the yin quality of EARTH.
- Contribution: The restructuring of EARTH by FIRE is what brings everything into existence.
- (3) Collecting / COLLECTING represents the higher orders of structure that extend ever outward ( Internet, space-born viruses, Mongol Empire)
- Collecting represents the higher orders of structure that extend ever outward. It is the final internal inflation, the final preparation. Instances of this are the Internet, space-born viruses, Mongol Empire .
This trigram, with two emerging yang lines, is now in the domain of the yang.
The quadrant of WATER and AIR is one of preparing, or internal yang, where the balanced state of WATER ascends and expands into the polar state of AIR.
- Negotiation: The yang becomes dominant here, and the remaining yin is outnumbered. This is the time when the yang begins to reign.
- Definition: The yang is no longer constrained by the limitation of the EARTH and is free to expand into what seems like limitless AIR. This is the culmination of expression, and whatever the ultimate expression of an instance is, according to the nature of the instance, will be expressed here.
- Contribution: What remains of that expression or how it lives on is something only history will know.
DECREASE combined with sincerity
Brings about supreme good fortune
One may be persevering in this.
It furthers one to undertake something.
How is this to be carried out?
One may use two small bowls for the sacrifice.
An Explanation of the Judgment The decrease does not under all circumstances mean something bad. Increase and decrease come in their own time. What matters here is to understand the time and not to try to cover up poverty with empty pretense. If a time of scant resources brings out an inner truth, one must not feel ashamed of simplicity.For simplicity is then the very thing needed to provide inner strength for further undertakings. Indeed, there need be no concern if the outward beauty of the civilization, even the elaboration of religious forms, should have to suffer because of simplicity. One must draw on the strength of the inner attitude to compensate for what is lacking in externals; then the power of the content makes up for the simplicity of form. There is no need of presenting false appearances to God. Even with slender means, the sentiment of the heart can be expressed.
The 'IMAGE' of the hexagram
At the foot of the mountain, the lake:
The image of DECREASE.
Thus the superior man controls his anger
And restrains his instincts.
An Explanation of the 'IMAGE' The lake at the foot of the mountain evaporates. In this way it decreases to the benefit of the mountain, which is enriched by its moisture. The mountain stands as the symbol of stubborn strength that can harden into anger. The lake is the symbol of unchecked gaiety that can develop into passionate drives at the expense of the life forces. Therefore decrease is necessary; anger must be decreased by keeping still, the instincts must be curbed by restriction. By this decrease of the lower powers of the psyche, the higher aspects of the soul are enriched.
The Six Lines
Nine at the beginning means:
Going quickly when one's tasks are finished
Is without blame.
But one must reflect on how much one may decrease others.
Commentary on the line It is unselfish and good when a man, after completing his own urgent tasks, uses his strength in the service of others, and without bragging or making much of it, helps quickly where help is needed. But the man in a superior position who is thus aided must weigh carefully how much he can accept without doing the helpful servant or friend real harm. Only where such delicacy of feeling exists can one give oneself unconditionally and without hesitation.
Nine in the second place means:
To undertake something brings misfortune.
Without decreasing oneself,
One is able to bring increase to others.
Commentary on the line A high-minded self-awareness and a consistent seriousness with no forfeit of dignity are necessary if a man wants to be of service to others. He who throws himself away in order to do the bidding of a superior diminishes his own position without thereby giving lasting benefit to the other. This is wrong.To render true service of lasting value to another, one must serve him without relinquishing oneself.
Six in the third place means:
When three people journey together.
Their number increases by one.
When one man journeys alone.
He finds a companion.
Commentary on the line When there are three people together, jealousy arises. One of them will have to go. Avery close bond is possible only between two people. But when one man is lonely, he is certain to find a companion who complements him.
Six in the fourth place means:
If a man deceases his faults.
It makes the other hasten to come and rejoice.
Commentary on the line A man's faults often prevent even well-disposed people from coming closer to him. His faults are sometimes reinforced by the environment in which he lives.But if in humility he can bring himself to the point of giving them up, he frees his well-disposed friends from an inner pressure and causes them to approach the more quickly, and there is mutual joy.
Six in the fifth place means:
Someone does indeed increase him.
Ten pairs of tortoises cannot oppose it.
Supreme good fortune.
Commentary on the line If someone is marked out by fate for good fortune, it comes without fail.All oracles-as, for instance, those that are read from the shells of tortoises-are bound to concur in giving him favorable signs. He need fear nothing, because his luck is ordained from on high.
Nine at the top means:
If one is increased without depriving other,
There is no blame.
Perseverance brings good fortune.
It furthers one to undertake something.
One obtains servants
But no longer has a separate home.
Commentary on the line There are people who dispense blessings to the whole world. Every increase in power that comes to them benefits the whole of mankind and therefore does not bring decrease to others. Through perseverance and zealous work a man wins success and finds helpers as they are needed. But what he accomplishes is not a limited private advantage; it is a public good and available to everyone.