Revolution (Molting) / Ko
Hexagram: 49 Binary Sequence: 29 (011101)
Upper trigram: 8 (3) TUI / The Joyous / Lake
Lower trigram: 6 (5) LI / The Clinging / Fire
- (3) Collecting / COLLECTING represents the higher orders of structure that extend ever outward ( Internet, space-born viruses, Mongol Empire)
- Collecting represents the higher orders of structure that extend ever outward. It is the final internal inflation, the final preparation. Instances of this are the Internet, space-born viruses, Mongol Empire .
This trigram, with two emerging yang lines, is now in the domain of the yang.
The quadrant of WATER and AIR is one of preparing, or internal yang, where the balanced state of WATER ascends and expands into the polar state of AIR.
- Negotiation: The yang becomes dominant here, and the remaining yin is outnumbered. This is the time when the yang begins to reign.
- Definition: The yang is no longer constrained by the limitation of the EARTH and is free to expand into what seems like limitless AIR. This is the culmination of expression, and whatever the ultimate expression of an instance is, according to the nature of the instance, will be expressed here.
- Contribution: What remains of that expression or how it lives on is something only history will know.
- (5) FIRE / FIRE is the symbol of a yang on the outsides but dependent on a yin center, as the yang dissipates, much like a fire that shines light as the log is reduced to ashes. ( energy, heat,light)
- FIRE represents the quality that allow for manifestation, transforming idea to form. It is cardinal, fall equinox, descending, the perfect balance of lessening yang and increasing yin. Instance of this are light, consumption.
The trigram shows the symbol of a yang on the outsides but dependent on a yin center, as the yang dissipates, much like a fire that shines light as the log is reduced to ashes.
The quadrant of FIRE exists between the dynamic properties of RELEASE and EMPTYING and therefore represent the dissipation of energy, which bring form in to existence and light into the world. This is the balanced that represents the hight of outward expression.
- Negotiation: The yang is built up and is ready to be released.
- Definition: The yin returns as the yang is released, which is defined by dissipation and entropy.
- Contribution: The energy is shared with the world, as light, heat, and movement.
On your own day
You are believed.
Supreme success, Furthering through perseverance.
An Explanation of the Judgment Political revolutions are extremely grave matters. They should be undertaken only under stress of direst necessity, when there is no other way out. Not everyone is called to this task, but only the man who has the confidence of the people, and even he only when the time is ripe. He must then proceed in the right way, so that he gladdens the people and, by enlightening them,prevents excesses. Furthermore, he must be quite free of selfish aims and must really relieve the need of the people. Only then does he have nothing to regret. Times change, and with them their demands. Thus the seasons change in the course of the year. In the world cycle also there are spring and autumn in the life of peoples and nations, and these call for social transformations.
The 'IMAGE' of the hexagram Fire in the lake: the image of REVOLUTION. Thus the superior man Sets the calendar in order And makes the seasons clear.
An Explanation of the 'IMAGE' Fire below and the lake above combat and destroy each other. So too in the course of the year a combat takes place between the forces of light and the forces of darkness, eventuating in the revolution of the seasons, and man is able to adjust himself in advance to the demands of the different times.
The Six Lines
Nine at the beginning means:
Wrapped in the hide of a yellow cow.
Commentary on the line Changes ought to be undertaken only when there is nothing else to be done.Therefore at first the utmost restraint is necessary. One must becomes firm in one's mind, control oneself-yellow is the color of the means, and the cow is the symbol of docility-and refrain from doing anything for the time being,because any premature offensive will bring evil results.
Six in the second place means:
When one's own day comes, one may create revolution,
Starting brings good fortune,
Commentary on the line When we have tried in every other way to bring about reforms, but without success, revolution becomes necessary. But such a thoroughgoing upheaval must be carefully prepared. There must be available a man who has the requisite abilities and who possesses public confidence. To such a man we may well turn.This brings good fortune and is not a mistake. The first thing to be considered is our inner attitude toward the new condition that will inevitably come. We have to go out to meet it, as it were. Only in this way can it be prepared for.
Nine in the third place means:
Starting brings misfortune.
Perseverance brings danger.
When talk of revolution has gone the rounds three times.
One may commit himself.
And men will believe him.
Commentary on the line When change is necessary, there are two mistakes to be avoided. One lies in excessive haste and ruthlessness, which bring disaster. The other lies in excessive hesitation and conservatism, which are also dangerous. Not every demand for change in the existing order should be heeded. On the other hand,repeated and well-founded complaints should not fail of a hearing. When talk of change has come to one's ears three times, and has been pondered well, he may believe and acquiesce in it. Then he will meet with belief and will accomplish something.
Nine in the fourth place means:
Men believe him.
Changing the form of government brings good fortune.
Commentary on the line Radical changes require adequate authority. A man must have inner strength as well as influential position. What he does must correspond with a higher truth and must not spring from arbitrary or petty motives; then it brings great good fortune. If a revolution is not founded on such inner truth, the results are bad, and it has no success. For in the end men will support only those undertakings which they feel instinctively to be just.
Nine in the fifth place means:
The great man changes like a tiger.
Even before he questions the oracle
He is believed.
Commentary on the line A tigerskin, with its highly visible black stripes on a yellow ground, shows its distinct pattern from afar. It is the same with a revolution brought about by a great man: large, clear guiding lines become visible, understandable to everyone. Therefore he need not first consult the oracle, for he wins the spontaneous support of the people.
Six at the top means:
The superior man changes like a panther.
The inferior man molts in the face.
Starting brings misfortune.
To remain persevering brings good fortune.
Commentary on the line After the large and fundamental problems are settled, certain minor reforms,and elaborations of these, are necessary. These detailed reforms may be likened to the equally distinct but relatively small marks of the panther's coat. As a consequence, a change also takes place among the inferior people.In conformity with the new order, they likewise "molt." This molting, it is true, does not go very deep, but that is not to be expected. We must be satisfied with the attainable. If we should go too far and try to achieve too much, it would lead to unrest and misfortune. For the object of a great revolution is the attainment of clarified, secure conditions ensuring a general stabilization on the basis of what is possible at the moment.